"Star Traks: The Continuing Blunder" [Nem-Era Proposal]

This is the place to discuss the various Star Traks series and stories.
Head Traks Guy

Re: "Star Traks: The Continuing Blunder" [Nem-Era Proposal]

Post by cmdrajd »

Wow...that's...um...dark.

My first reaction (besides the bit about it being dark) is that your plan really wouldn't fit in with the Traks continuity. Between the various series set in the 24th century and Boldly Gone, Waystation's existence is pretty well laid out up into the 2500s, when it does indeed look very much like Jupiter Station (Although, I'd like to point out that I established that multi-saucer design for future Waystation well before the episode of Voyager showing Jupiter Station ever aired. They robbed me, I tell ya! ROBBED ME!). Ahem. Moving on...

The other thing really goes back to the darkness. Traks, while it does dip its toe into some darker places occasionally, is at its heart a comedy series. We generally keep the body count down, and we even try to keep the deaths that we do have on the goofier side for the most part.

None of this is to say that you shouldn't pursue your concept. I would never tell someone who wants to write not to write. However, I don't feel that Waystation is appropriate for what you have in mind, and, more importantly, we're still using it. I still (supposedly) have a Waystation book in the works, and there are other series that drop by there. We already have an issue with people destroying places we're using (I'm looking at you, J.J. Abrams).

In the end, my suggestion would be to establish your own station that you can destroy at will.
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Traks Fan

Post by JHauck »

Cool. I'm keeping "The Continuing Blunder" a light comedy (What-the-fuck?) type series, but I was just talking out my butt about possible future directions. Other ideas are a "Star Traks: Holodeck One" where your characters compile their stand-alone stories about their own Julian Bashir "secret agent" type recreational outings, that have little to nothing to do with the over-all story arc's in their own series or others'.
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

cmdrajd wrote:(Although, I'd like to point out that I established that multi-saucer design for future Waystation well before the episode of Voyager showing Jupiter Station ever aired. They robbed me, I tell ya! ROBBED ME!). Ahem. Moving on...
Yea, we're pretty used to that, too. That's why I had no problem "borrowing" concepts from the book series "New Earth" and "I.K.S. Gorkon" for "Governor's Song".
I still (supposedly) have a Waystation book in the works,\
You mean "(eventually)", right?
But yea, the idea for a holodeck series could be interesting if played correctly. It at least has the merit of not being done before, and it would let you explore all kinds of concepts, ideas and jokes that would take an absurd amount of setup, exposition and contrivance to do outside of a holodeck. I'd encourage you to go that route if you really, really want to do that epic "Waystation gets screwed" story.
Traks Fan

Post by JHauck »

Okay. Going with the light-hearted comedy theme of "Traks", I'm thinking of the NX-Class U.S.S. Shapiro. Would anyone be interested in seeing a bumbling set of retards try to grapple with first-time couplings with a Trill ("I'm sorry, did you just say you used-to-be a dude?") And the protein resequencers, ("as long as you don't ask too many questions about where the ingredients come from, you'll be okay.") and the fact they're pretty much shooting pool with a rope (weapons-wise). They're essentially a bunch of uncouth bumpkins from 2159's Arkansas branch of the (Formerly United States) Armed Forces.

Space...not quite what it's cracked-up to be.
To seek out a good time, as cheaply as possible.
To avoid child support and uncomfortable
conversations about last New Years' Eve.
We're the crew of the NX-13, the U.S.S. Shapiro.

Oh, and by the way, I've moved "Star Trek: New Worlds" to a new location. Webs.Com is a pain in the @$$!!!

http://starbase_hellsgate.tripod.com/anthology.html

Cleaned up one of the prior images.

Shapiro's Ship's Counselor, (Medusan In Encounter Suit)
Lieutenant Yikes
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

I like that idea better...a recently new fan of the 'Terminal Lance' comic strip, I'm sure you could come up with a lot of interesting humour using a group of ex-soliders on a 21st century ship. Of course, how well an idea works out depends on the stories it results in, right? I was pleasantly surprised with the early Silverado run, to toot my own horn a bit. On the other hand, I'm still trying to find my way with Halfway to Haven, even though I thought at the time that I had a good premise.

I'd recommend you think about your characters and some ideas for your series pilot, then give it a go.
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

cmdrajd wrote:Wow...that's...um...dark.
The other thing really goes back to the darkness. Traks, while it does dip its toe into some darker places occasionally, is at its heart a comedy series. We generally keep the body count down, and we even try to keep the deaths that we do have on the goofier side for the most part.
Body count down? HAH! I've the entire Borg Collective to sacrifice drones to the body count. I believe I've destroyed Cube #347 at least three(?) times. Okay, okay, I've also revived 'em all at least twice; and destruction-by-superstring isn't necessarily going to be permanent, either. After all, this is science fiction, and no one every dies forever in science fiction, not when one can whip out a gadget from the future and spout techno-babble.

Okay, I'm done. Anyway, good luck and I look forward to seeing how your ideas eventually jel.
Currently working on -
Star Traks: BorgSpace - Book 3, Part 1 - "Invocation of the Birds - Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Pheonix"

--Time is merely an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space
(Anonymous)