Origins Season 2 (Continued.... Eventually)

This is the place to discuss the various Star Traks series and stories.
'Orribly Original
Location: Officially somewhere dark and unheard of, south UK.

Re: Origins Season 2 (Continued.... Eventually)

Post by Mad Lensman »

I seem to remember that Vader just reached a gloved hand out and yelled NO!!!!! .... I'll just get the DVD's out to be sure! I'm probably wrong.

Also, isn't there a scene, just before Luke drops into the shute where we see him sort of wrap his arms and legs in tighter so he drops neatly into the round opening? - And, doesn't anyone else notice how similar that part of cloud city looks to the tubes in the cloud city of the hawkmen in Flash Gordon.....

Guess the wrapping arms and legs together thingy precludes that it was indeed a force push and it must have been from Luke himself, don't I remember somewhere in the story a bit where Obi Wan (or was it Yoda) told Luke some nonsense about the force being unable to alter a definitely set mind or influence the motions thereof? - Or am I getting my series muddled up again..... (Possibly, I did just finish reading all 7 Lensman novels again!) 8-)
Dr. Allison Reed: It's over, it's over. You did great! Do you need anything? Can we get you anything?
Harry Block: Ice cream... I'd like an ice cream please.
Dr. Allison Reed: Okay, what flavor?
Harry Block: It doesn't matter. It's for my ass.
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Hmm...I don't remember the "definitely set mind" part. If true, that would open up a whole range of problems with the little mind cloud/nudge thing Jedi can do. I'm not sure that it would apply here anyway. Vader wouldn't change Luke's mind about letting himself fall. He just wouldn't go very far because of the Force grab. The chute thing has bugged me for a while. I think I used to assume that Luke got caught in some kind of suction and pulled in, which seemed weird. I'm not sure that I buy that Luke, after failing to raise a X-Wing that isn't going anywhere, had enough concentration while plummeting to steer himself into a chute. Maybe he did. Hmm...I wonder how the movie novelization handles it.
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
'Orribly Original

Post by Mad Lensman »

And I now poke a hole in the entire "force push/pull/grab to save the day" theory ...

In Return of the Jedi, Darthy-Poo flings the emporer Palpatine off the balcony of the Deathstar Throne room and the emporer flies down the shute to his death.... Surely Palpatine, being a sith lord level higher than our favourite "gimp mask" wearing baldy baddy would just force push his way to the nearest little bridge thing (A'la the brother/sister swing/kiss scene from A new hope - original Star Wars to those of us old enough to have gone to see the thing FIRST time round!), once there, he's off, legging it for the shuttle bay and a nice escape thank you very very muchly....!

So it's a no brainer - unless of course only Jedi Force Push/Pull/Grab is strong enough to act on the Jedi himself, and the Sith version just don't cut it, but then they get cool red lightsabers and the best make up effects money can buy.....! :lol:

Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it boss! :D

(And I just skimmed through all the movies, you're right, the definitely set mind thing is a Lensman universe doo-hickey. My mistake!)
Dr. Allison Reed: It's over, it's over. You did great! Do you need anything? Can we get you anything?
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Force mind-tricks only work on the weak-minded according to Obi-Wan in A New Hope, which is why he negotiated with Han Solo instead of Force Persuading him as with the Stormtroopers. I don't know if that rule applies to Force Telekinesis, though...
The "negative Force effect" is most likely to me for why Vader didn't Force Yoink Luke back to the platform. If memory serves, Luke had been looking down a few minutes earlier, saw the hole and, knowing he couldn't whup Vader at that timee, decided to take his chances, using his fledgling understanding of the Force to nudge his descent into the tube while simultaanously resisting dear ol' Dad's attempts to yoink him back.
And let's be honest, it takes a LOT more to lift a God-knows-how-heavy space fighter than to slightly alter the momentum of a falling 130-something pound human. Hell, even Yoda, the baddest badass Jedi around had trouble lifting the X-Wing.
And yes, I totally called it a Force Yoink. You can thank Legostar Galactica for that and our own Maija Meneks for introducing me to it in the last forum.
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

As a Legostar reader as well, I was really resisting using the Force yoink term (Side note about the current Legostar strips, is it just me, or do group lightsaber battle sequences not work at all in Lego? I spent about five days of strips not being able to tell what the hell was going on.).

I'm not sure that the Palpatine example shoots a hole in the theory. Palpatine couldn't stop himself. Jedi can't fly after all. They "fall with style" (Thanks, Toy Story) like Anikan when he leapt from the flying car thing in Episode II. If Palpatine was just dumped down a long open shaft leading to the core (As many people have asked, WHY was that there?), there wasn't much he could do. And he seemed a bit surprised by the whole betrayed by Vader thing. Perhaps Vader could have Force yoinked him back (There. I used it.). I'm now picturing Vader making Palpatine a giant yo-yo. Up, down, up, down, up, drop you to your death. That was fun.

Back to Luke, now that BC mentions it, I do remember Luke taking a look down before letting go. Maybe he was aiming.
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

Well, I'm glad I'm remember into perpetuity for something. If it has to be Legostar Galactica web address, so be it!

Oh, thank you for that lovely picture of Palpatine yoinking up and down that core shaft. Yoink.

As far as this:
(As many people have asked, WHY was that there?)
I think that is a common question for many watchers of Star Wars, Star Trek, whatever-the-show-you-are-watching. I think the complaint was best brought up in one of my favorite movies "Galaxy Quest" concerning the discussion of the chomper hallway.

Now that I have absolutely not added to the conversation and continued the hijacking of the Origins thread, I leave you to your regularly scheduled whatever you have happening.
Currently working on -
Star Traks: BorgSpace - Book 3, Part 1 - "Invocation of the Birds - Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Pheonix"

--Time is merely an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space
(Anonymous)
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Agreed, Alan, group battles with Legos don't work. I think it's because the Lego minifigs are all the same size and shape, just different colors. Get enough of them into a group, then jam it into the small panels in L.G. and it's very hard to tell who is who.
And Maija, no, the link to L.G. is not your claim to perprtuity... that would be your story "I Am My Own Grandpa". I still have nightmares from that one...
'Orribly Original

Post by Mad Lensman »

Meneks wrote:Well, I'm glad I'm remember into perpetuity for something. If it has to be Legostar Galactica web address, so be it!
I did dedicate the last episode to the long deceased "Thorny" so I'm doing my bit in upholding the legacy of Borgspace.... :lol:

Yoink.... I like that. Word of the week "Yoink" - To be "force"ably pulled/pushed/infulenced/abducted or otherwise interfered with during the execution of one's attempted suicidal plunge/leap/drop/bounce or fall from a great height when retreating, at speed, from an adversary in a black cloak, a gimp mask, with asthma and a bad haircut.....

Next week? Blargh. :) :lol:
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Blarg? Blarg honk honk blarg HONK!
(Translation: Blarg? Hey, I just got that t-shirt!)
'Orribly Original

Post by Mad Lensman »

borgcrazy wrote:Blarg? Blarg honk honk blarg HONK!
(Translation: Blarg? Hey, I just got that t-shirt!)
Only you BC... only you.....! :D

And yes, I am perfectly well aware that I missed my own self imposed deadline for ep 10..... My bad, slap me later please! Someone sent me a rather interesting email that necessitated my immediate action and some rather bizzare recording talents.... Not to mention an egg whisk, two high voltage cables and a pair of crocodile clips - an dthat's just the entertainment bill.....! More soon....! :shock: