Vexed Generation Posting and Comments

This is the place to discuss the various Star Traks series and stories.
Traks Fan

Vexed Generation Posting and Comments

Post by Captain B »

It seems odd to start a brand new thread for Vexed Generation, as there are a paltry three stories remaining.

I did want to let everyone know that, after a three-month delay during which I bought a house and subsequently moved in to it, that I am back to writing and halfway through the final three story run of Vexed Generation.

I am now convinced beyond a shadow of doubt that I am dragging my feet because I simply do not want this series to end. I love my characters way too much, although I am getting the feeling that I have said about everything I want to say about the Explorer crew...or will have once I'm done writing the last story of Year 8.

Brendan and I were chatting today about what might come next. I have a few ideas, in descending order of likelihood that they will actually happen:
1. Outlander Book. 99% chance. This one I am almost sure will get written. As I am a completist, I can't stand the idea of not telling the story of what ever exactly happened to Captain Vansen and the Outlander crew. And I have a good idea of how I want to frame the story.
2. Aerostar-A series. 75% chance. There is a lot more to tell about Conway and company. If this series happens, will probably be a short run, like Boldly. 5 or 6 stories per run. I have some thoughts on a few new characters and a couple of random plot ideas.
3. Explorer stories with a new crew. 25% chance. A few years after the "present-day" events in Alls Well that Ends, the Explorer sails on, but almost the entire crew is gone (Holly Wilcox, Madera and Sefelt I believe are the only characters of any relevance left). There is a 15 year gap and we have no idea what the Explorer was up to then...but then again, do we really care that much? Part of me thinks it would be interesting to write stories set on the Explorer with an entirely different set of folks running the show.
4. Explorer-A series. 15% chance. This would be the only chance to write stories that have an almost open-ended future, as long as I don't contradict what happens in Boldly Gone... (darn continuity!!) For this to work, I would need a really good idea as a catalyst - something unique that would make it compelling or interesting. Right now I think about this idea and just say...eh.

I will say I have had fun writing the cadets, and have become more attached to them as characters than I thought I would. It's possible they may work their way somehow into a series idea (although it would take place after they graduate from the academy as we already have a series set at Starfleet Academy :) )

The one thing that is 100% certain is that I'm going to spend more time reading other people's stuff. I am woefully behind on pretty much every series, and something needs to be done about that.

Feel free to chime in on the above if you have any thoughts one way or the other. Any of them would probably not happen for a while. Look how long it is taking me to hammer out these last three. I started writing the relaunch of Vexed Generation with Year 5 NINE YEARS AGO! Where has the time gone?

Anthony
Currently writing: Somethin'

Favorite Traks Quote: "Free unnecessary enemas for everybody!"
Traks Fan

Re: Vexed Generation Posting and Comments

Post by Captain B »

After much delay, the final three stories of Star Traks: The Vexed Generation will begin posting, beginning this Saturday, Jan. 16, with "Have a Cigar."

And away we go...

Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

GASP!!! Is it "...eventually" already?
Traks Fan

Post by Captain B »

It had to come eventually :)

Traks Fan

Post by Captain B »

I just realized it's been exactly one year to the day since I last posted. That wasn't in any way the plan. Originally I figured I would have my next story up by September. How things change!

So here we are, after much waiting, the final three stories of Star Traks: The Vexed Generation. Hope you enjoy! Comments to come...eventually.

Have a Cigar

After recent events, the crew could use a good party. But when the Explorer visits Earth for Harlan Baxter's promotion to Fleet Admiral, and to drop off the cadets at Starfleet Academy, not everyone's in the mood to celebrate. Join us in saying goodbye to our fearless cadets, and find out why the confrontation with Alvin Ficker is just beginning.

FInd it at http://www.star-traks.com/vexed!

Traks Fan

Comments on "Have a Cigar"

Post by Captain B »

Have a Cigar

Wow, it's been a while since I've done this.

This story was an opportunity to see the cadets off in a meaningful way, which surprises me as much as anyone, as I really didn't see the cadets playing as prominent a role as they eventually did.

Originally, the cadets were really just developed for Baxter to play off of while he was at Starfleet Academy for a couple of stories. I realized if I wanted him involved in taking a course that there should be a few other cadets for him to interact with. Originally, Piper was the primary cadet and Mathers and Sparks were really just window dressing.

Somewhere toward the end of the second story I decided to keep Mathers and Sparks on board the Explorer. If Year 8 is about our main characters becoming a little more like full grown adults, then it would be interesting to show them in contrast to cadets who are still learning. I'm most surprised about the active role that Sparks took on. Her character very much took on a life of its own.

I went back and forth quite a bit on whether or not to include the snippets from the cadets' final reflections in the story. Ultimately I decided that Year 8 (and in many ways, Years 5-8) were about stretching the concepts and experimenting a bit. Another example of this is spending the first five stories of Year 7 with four of my characters stranded on Earth of the past.

As we head toward the end of the series, there is a lot of character stuff to resolve. Lots of folks with some things to work out. Since things are being wrapped up, I thought it important to finally address how the Explorer is viewed by Starfleet...basically, a laughingstock. While Captain Baxter may have had an inlking of this before, you get the idea he didn't realize how deep it went, or how much the Starfleet that disdains the Explorer and the Starfleet his father is a part of are very much one and the same. How he deals with that information and moves forward is a big part of wrapping up the series.

When I first started writing this series (gah, at age....18?), Alan would always be the first person to read the stories. Come to think of it, at the time, he was the only person. He would usually suggest a little more character development and a little less...fireworks (I liked to blow things up in stories back then an awful lot...still do :) ) Some 15 years later, I'm glad to have written some stories with has no weapons fired, no space battles, and yes...nothing blowing up. This is one of those stories, and hopefully it's still an enjoyable read without the...pyrotechnics.

As for future pyrotechnics...well, tune in to the next two stories :)

Anthony

Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Have A Cigar
That was indeed an enjoyable story. I like that you decided to include the snippets from the cadets; it felt a little more personal and intimate that way. It also made the farewell scene a little more bittersweet, but worth it. I liked Sparks' take; it's not the end of the world, just the end of one chapter of their lives.
The party for Harlan was just sad, though. Made me want to cry a little bit, give Andy a man-hug and tell him it's okay, there's literally dozens of people who love him just for who he is. If he asked who, I'd point him here. Wait, assuming Traks survives into the 24th Century...and assuming I do too...
But yea, there were plenty of funny parts too. Peterman's counseling session was good, and even as sad as the promotion party was, I still got some good chuckles out of it.
So yea, the short version: great, emotional sendoff to the cadets who, surprisingly, grabbed all our hearts, and an enlightening, if sad, look at Andy's reputation. Now, let's see him go kick some ass and get the respect he deser... he will hopefully earn!
Traks Fan

Post by Donald »

I've just finished the entire Vexed Gen back story, it's taken from the middle of November until now.

That was a rollicking rollercoaster read, replete with remarkable, resounding refreshingly enjoyable stories.

I'm going to miss those people! :D
Power is Nothing without control. That's why I'm not allowed either!
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

That's also a lot of words starting with "r" there, Donald. Well done.
Traks Fan

Post by Donald »

Always trust a Scot to roll their rrrrrrrrrrr's! :)
Power is Nothing without control. That's why I'm not allowed either!