Halfway to Haven Posting & Discussion

This is the place to discuss the various Star Traks series and stories.
Captain Silverado

Halfway to Haven Posting & Discussion

Post by b-guy »

Series:Star Traks: Halfway to Haven
Author:Brendan Shust

Space. Sometimes you'd just rather sit in your own back yard
These are the mis-adventures of Starbase 341
Her two-hundred year old mission:
To be ignorned by anybody who matters. To stumble along and hopefully accomplish something useful.
To flail about like nobody's flailed about before!

Hey folks! Posting for Star Traks: Halfway to Haven starts this weekend with 1.1 - City Limits! In the meantime, the H2H website is now up and running. No stories just yet, of course, but you can check out the character bios and find some information about Starbase 341/Haven and the USS Roadrunner.
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Traks Fan

Re: Halfway to Haven Posting & Discussion

Post by Donald »

Looking good Brendan. Admire your skill in manipulating pictures.
Power is Nothing without control. That's why I'm not allowed either!
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Halfway to Haven - Series Premiere

1.1 - City Limits

The Matrians have found a relic from their past, but this one is a wee bit larger than a stone tablet or a shard of pottery. It's Haven, a space station the size of a city (or really more of a city that's also a space station), and they want Starfleet to run it. But for some reason Starfleet seems to be having trouble finding a captain willing to take command of an antique located weeks away from any Federation support. Can't imagine why. With no good captains or other officers jumping at the chance, Starfleet takes the best of what's around, but even getting a skeleton crew aboard may be more of a challenge than anyone imagined.

http://www.khobrah.net/silver/h2h

Based on comments made my a certain reader, I'm going to try posting PDF versions of the H2H stories in addition to the standard text. In theory, a pdf should work better on a tablet, or ebook reader, or what have you. I don't know. On my android phone, the font seems to change size randomly, while on my PC Adobe reader everything looks fine. So let me know. If it works, I'll keep posting PDFs, otherwise I won't bother.

Looking forward to your comments!
Working on:

Website Upgrades
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Comments - City Limits

Major Spoilers!

Well, as I sit here trying (and failing) to make progress on the next Crash Course story, I figure I may as well make a few comments on City Limits instead.

OK, so the series premise. Gotta admit, didn't have the same plan I had going into Silverado. I started writing with a rough idea of who the characters are, and the idea that this was going to be a space-station type series, but with a ship thrown in right from the beginning. I mean, both DS9 and Waystation ended up needing a ship, so I figured I'd finish that part off early. The idea for the Roardunner's QS came from the fact that I'd sort of written myself into a corner, with Matria Prime being over a month away from the main area of Federation space. So I needed something that would shorten the trip if needed, but not somthing that would make a big impact on other series, or with the continuity for Boldly Gone. So the barely-useful QS drive idea came up.

I will admit that having the Roadrunner get lost in space was NOT part of my original plan. I had planned for Wyer's plan to work and for the ship to be yanked out of the slipstream right at Haven's front door. But then I figured 'Hey, wouldn't it be cool if I literally made this Halfway to Haven by having half the crew lost?' I figured that since most of my stories have A & B plots anyway that the distance wouldn't be that big a deal. <sigh> It has complicated the writing process so far, and I'm sort of kinking myself over it. That said, there won't be a fast resolution just to make things easy on me. It's gonna take a season or two to get them home. But I don't plan on making it a major series permise, a la Voyager.

Hmm, what else? Definately have plans for Laarthi and Boxer, though their current predicament is going to prevent much in the way of SI storyline for the near future.

Ah, I know. The empty city. I've already introduced so many characters that I can't keep them straight, never mind trying to keep things comprehensible for the readers. The cool thing about a city or a space station is that you have so much oppurtunity to play and experiment with minor characters. On Silverado, the Hazardous Team became some of my favorite guys to write. So much more oppurtunity in a city of several hundred thousand. That said, it would be too much too soon. Hence the plot device of the city being empty and off-limits until the Matrian Council decides how they're going to manage populating it.

I think that's enough of my rambling for the time being. Next story coming up in two weeks!
Working on:

Website Upgrades
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

Interesting twists for Hummingbird/Haven crews

'...“This whole ship is suicide in general,” Virgii muttered...'

May both crews complete their mission :)
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Formatting:
Yea, the PDF was a nice idea in theory, but didn't work so well in practice. In addition to the random font changes, it still suffered from the broken line problem of the txt format, so I just grabbed the txt one, used some interesting tricks I learned from a different thread to reformat in Word and went with that.

Story:
Hahaha!!! That's funny that both sides responded correctly but resulted in such a catastrophic conclusion for everyone. Classic Traks at it's finest!
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Hey all,

So...um...got H2H 1.2 all set for posting last Friday, then wound up with such a crazy weekend that I forgot about it. I'm setting myself a phone reminder to post it when I get home from work today...
Working on:

Website Upgrades
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Halfway to Haven - Update

1.2 - Bypass

Sabotage. A long voyage. Squabbling coming from the seats behind you. No, you're not taking your family to Disney World, you're Acting Captain Tyler Virgii of the USS Roadrunner and you're just not having a good day. Of course, things aren't all that well back in Matrian Space where Captain Simplot and Colonel Abela are just about ready to turn Haven into a war zone. Doesn't matter if you're on a planet, aboard a ship or stuck in a city crawling through space, new neighbors can be real pains in the ass.

www.khobrah.net/silver/h2h

Enjoy!

Brendan
Working on:

Website Upgrades
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

"It happens more than you'd think, sir," Laarthi spoke up,
"It was probably left there by a construction crew. Common
problem."
That NEVER happens ;-)

reminds of the time I called a manufacturer for an operating curve for a particular chiller [one of a kind], their response: '..we only designed the chiller on a board, it is up to you guys to determine the operating curve...' :lol: now, however, I wasn't laughing at the time
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Comments - 1.2 Bypass

Honestly, I wrote this one a while ago and don't really have any specific comments on it. Trying to develop the characters a bit, that was the main goal.
Working on:

Website Upgrades