Star Traks: Howlers

This is the place to discuss the various Star Traks series and stories.
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

What happens when Traks authors have nightmares? Well most of the time, nothing more than screams that annoy a spouse or terrify a pet. But sometimes nightmares get lodged in the brain and ferment into strange and bizarre new shapes. Which brings us to Star Traks: Howlers! Story 1 - Loopapalooza follows Ensign Greg Mayle as he finds himself on a top-secret ship, suffering from a strange disease that nobody understands, nobody can cure, but that some people have found the perfect way to exploit!

Now on the Traks Unleashed page...

www.star-traks.com
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Captain Silverado

Re: Star Traks: Howlers

Post by b-guy »

Loupapalooza Comments

First, off, the title. Loup is French for wolf, loup-garou is French for werewolf. There's a shitload of werewolves in this story (sort of), hence it's a loup-a-palooza.

OK, so it goes like this. I spent a weekend off playing Skyrim and working on Halfway to Haven. Now, minor spoiler alert, but there's a quest line in Skyrim that allows your character to become a werewolf. And I really enjoyed that gameplay. So after this game & Traks filled weekend, I had some truly bizarre nightmares about being trapped on a starship that was crewed by werewolves.

Needless to say, when I woke up my reaction was along the lines of 'Holy shit, that TOTALLY SUCKED!' But it stuck in my head. While I was working out at the gym for morning PT, I started thinking about this dream, and thought to myself 'Well...what if only PART of the crew were werewolves? And what if they WEREN'T actually werewolves, but were just being affected by something that makes them SEEM like werewolves?

And so once I got home from work, I started writing. Roughly half the first story was already in my head by the time I got home, right up until the scene where Mayle storms into the captain's ready room to demand an explanation. Honestly, when I first looked back at what I'd written, my reaction was 'Wow...this is the absolute WORST sort of fan-boy, mash-up-the-genres CRAP.' In fact, I still sort of think that. Buuut...I was having fun. So I ran with it.

The second half of the story is where I started putting more thought in. How would a crew react to a gang of werewolves? What sort of situations could I create? A lot of changes took place here...all the characters were renamed, including Felix the cat. Originally, he was a female cat named Syra, but Alan metioned that having a Syl and Syra in the story was confusing, and my buddy Felix asked me to name the cat after him. The only other name that resembles anybody I actually know would be Dr. Wolfman. I had a Wolfman as a professor at college, and he was a bit...eccentric. In a good way. Anyway, how could I write a werewolf story and NOT use a name like Wolfman? I mean...really! I definately enjoyed the chance to be a bit sillier than normal...Grandma's Cottage, the spandex shorts, the people-eating and tree-humping were all things that I couldn't really work into an H2H story.

But the biggest change was the ending. Originally, the last scene was very different. I won't say much about it, as Alan suggested pushing it back for a season/series finale. But it would have closed things up neatly and made the story stand more firmly on it's own; as a one-shot story, never to be repeated. I'd like to do more Holwer stories (am actually almost done #2), so I went with an ending that left things open instead. However I don't know how far I'll be able to go with this concept. I'd like to see at least 6, like a Boldly Gone season.

Anyway, that's all I got. Hope you liked this one!
Working on:

Website Upgrades
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

b-guy wrote:Loupapalooza Comments

...'Well...what if only PART of the crew were werewolves? And what if they WEREN'T actually werewolves, but were just being affected by something that makes them SEEM like werewolves?...where I started putting more thought in. How would a crew react to a gang of werewolves? What sort of situations could I create? A lot of changes took place here...I'd like to do more Holwer stories (am actually almost done #2), so I went with an ending that left things open instead. However I don't know how far I'll be able to go with this concept. I'd like to see at least 6, like a Boldly Gone season...
Interesting read and presentation of items in the story.
I never fully recognized the powers of random thoughts until after a recent UPS shipment was swiped after delivery.
My first thought was of both the chase arc and verbal exchange from the apprehended snake creature.
Having the 'Howlers' unit would be ideal in tracking down those misguided individual[s].
You know how the ACLU would consider that concept
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Star Traks: Howlers 2

Heads or Tails

Snarling, people-eating, tree-humping beasts to the left, mad scientists (and Vulcans) to the right, a very pissed-off cat to the rear and Andorian assassins to the front. It's times like these that Ensign Greg Mayle wishes he'd done something safe. Like shark-wreastling. Or alligator taunting. Or anything OTHER than Liason Officer for the most bizarre yet deadly assault team in Starfleet history.

Now available on the Traks Unleashed page!
Working on:

Website Upgrades
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

Ouch, the Latest Update
2/20/12- Howlers #2
appears to ge linked to the Howlers #1 story

Please advise later
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

It comes up properly for me...maybe you need to refresh the page? Alan may have already seen your post and fixed it, too.
Working on:

Website Upgrades
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

Refreshed page - cleaned temp files and cookies - Regrettably still shows only

Story 1 – ‘Loupapalooza’

By Brendan Shust

No more free time until end of this month - Best of luck for other readers - Take care
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

I'm not sure why you're having that problem. It comes up fine for me. Now I did spot a problem on the Unleashed page, but that was up in the "Recent Update" section. That link still led to Howlers #1. It's fixed now. The main link in the page body, though, appears to be working fine.
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Comments - Heads or Tails

I guess I'm a bit late with these.

The goal for this second Howlers story was to try to establish some kind of routine. What do the Howlers do on a day-to-day basis? How does Mayle now fit into that? That meant two things to me: A typical day or two on the ship, and a typical mission.

Wolfman started off as a way to sort of poke fun at one of my old profs...one of the profs I got along with fairly well I should add. Two things I'll always remember about him are the Pastafarian (flying spaghetti-monster) wallpaper on his computer desktop...which of course was projected up on the screen. And the fact that he ALWAYS had a bottle of Dr. Pepper anytime he gave a lecture. Disgusting stuff. Anyway, Dr. Wolfman's eager desire to perform bizarre, unnecessary experiments on the Howlers definately came from this odd, gleeful sort of look my prof would sometimes get in his eyes, usually accompanied by the phrase 'Wouldn't it be neat if...'.

The holodeck practice stems from my absolute hatred of Justin Bieber. I was trying to figure out just how exactly these guys would train. Well, they're a killer squad, so they must practice killing people. But who? Nuff said.

Tomillo was, in this story, largely just filler. Somebody on the Farkas side of things to send all the problem cases to Mayle. Not sure yet how she'll develop. Definately a basket case though.

As for the typical mission, I couldn't really figure out how the Howlers could get in, kill somebody, then get out without being caught on camera, sensors, witnesses, etc. I mean, a big dog/wolf alien in spandex shorts? Not exactly something easy to miss. So the main way to get around this was to make sure that whatever planet they were on didn't have any of those things...hence the Prime Directive protected planet idea.

Another thing I wanted to show was a slight change in the dynamic between the Howlers and some of the Farkas crew. The cargo bay scene with the lifting was really just a way to expose some crew members to a non-threatening image of the Howlers. On the other hand, the shinnanigans the bridge crew was up to during their mission, the ones that almost got team members killed by assassins, shows that there is still a strong divide...possibly a dangerous one.

Finally, the target. The Andorian Spleen Mistress. What can I say? Anthony and Alan have really painted the Andorians as a delightfully f**ked-up race. If only the real Star Trek could learn from their example. Given that they're in a similar line of work, I hope the Howlers and the Andorian Assassins Guild will have many future run-ins.

I haven't even started on the next Howlers tale (tail?), as I'm focused on finishing the first Halfway to Haven season. But sooner or later I'll sit down and hammer out another one.
Working on:

Website Upgrades
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

I guess I forgot to post the last story update here.

New Traks X 2!

New Traks! Star Traks: Howlers 3- 'Pack Mentality' is now on the Traks Unleashed page! Friction is growing between the Alpha and Beta Howler teams, leading Mayle to wonder if there's more to the tension than simple intra-pack rivalry. The Howlers need a way to blow off some steam or this situation is going to get really ugly.

Star Traks: Howlers 4 - 'Up the Heat' is now on the Traks Unleashed page. When a Starfleet surveillance team disappears on an unfamiliar world, the Howlers are sent to pick up the...um...scent. But due to a very personal condition affecting one of the team, Mayle has to head into the field. Will his inexperience turn out to be an asset or a liability? We're going to go out on a limb and say liability.

http://www.star-traks.com/unleash/unleash.html
Working on:

Website Upgrades