Spring 2015 Update

This is the place to discuss the various Star Traks series and stories.
Captain Silverado

Spring 2015 Update

Post by b-guy »

Things have been quiet on the Traks front lately, but not because the authors have been sitting idle. Well, OK. Some have. But several of us to have new projects that we're currently working on. I'm going to start by blabbing incessantly about my current Traks work.

I haven't worked on Howlers since finishing off story 5. I do plan to come back and write probably another half-dozen. I don't see it as a full series, but I do have a rough idea of what I want to happen to our furry friends between now and the end of Story 12. Halfway to Haven has been equally dormant, and while I want to come back and do another season it is currently #3 on my to-do list.

Speaking of my plans and how they never work out, my main effort over the past six-eight months has been Star Traks: Silverado - Season 6. Yup, a full season of Silverado will be posting in the near future. I originally wanted to do a trilogy of books that would completely close off the Matrian Space and Silverado reconstruction storylines once and for all...but I tried the same thing with the Qu'Eh invasion story and once again I've thrown up my hands after Book 2 and said 'I need a season for this'. I'm starting work on Story 8 at the moment, and I'll most likely post this season in two eight-story runs. The alternative is to delay until I'm done up to at least story 12 and post in one run. I'd rather post sooner.

What can you expect in Season Six? Well, while the first half at least does largely take place aboard Haven, but don't expect to see much of the H2H crew. I wanted to quickly establish that both crews would be minding their own business. Yanick and T'Parief of course have their egg and the hatching to deal with. And Sylvia and Fifebee have buried themselves in a secret project that sooner or later WILL blow up in their faces.
But in the first part of the season, the bigger issue that the Silverado crew is facing is the fact that they're supposedly explorers, but they've been stuck around the same planet now for close to a year. They're frustrated, they want to leave, and oh, by the way, they're also famous. As you can imagine, different crew members react to fame a bit differently. So many of the early season stories sort of explore this sense of 'what the hell do we DO without a ship, on a planet where everybody knows our name???'
Not to give too much away, but of course they DO get a ship before too long, as well as a mission of sorts. I've got a couple of stories where they're trying to get their space-legs back, so to speak. And story eight will largely take place on a planet they've been sent to investigate....a planet on the border of Qu'Eh space that for some weird reason hasn't been given any 'employment opportunities'.

What excites me the most about Season 6? Mmmm...mostly just to be writing Silverado again. I could have let the series end with Season 5, but there were unanswered questions I really wanted to answer. I'm also hoping I can back away a bit from the more serious tone of Season 5 and get a bit of silly back into the mix. I've got a few scenes with Stafford and the crew trying to operate Qu'Eh technology and...well...let's just say that Quality Assurance people can't design a user-friendly system.

That's it for me, folks! Hoping to start posting Season 6 sometime in the next couple of months!

-Brendan
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
El yerno no favorito

Re: Spring 2015 Update

Post by Star Traks »

get a bit of silly back into the mix. I've got a few scenes with Stafford and the crew trying to operate Qu'Eh technology and...well...let's just say that Quality Assurance people can't design a user-friendly system

How time has changed technology, IBM 360 software lifetime expectancy around 20+ years while software now has a lifetime around a month
- remember issues 'upgrading' from Windows 95 to Vista at work; when Vista turned out not to be sufficiently stable - office tried to re-install Windows 95 - Microsoft laid a caveat [being polite at moment] not allowing installation of all drivers [during re-install or Windows 95] enabling a stable Windows 95 desktop.
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Star Traks wrote:Microsoft laid a caveat [being polite at moment] not allowing installation of all drivers [during re-install or Windows 95] enabling a stable Windows 95 desktop.
Probably had more to with XP being the immediate predecessor to Vista than anything, despite the fact that a lot of legacy office software didn't work quite right in XP either...
But hey, that's not Microsoft's problem, right? They're just trying to sell a product, they don't care if it hampers your job or productivity when it doesn't work right or isn't fully backwards compatible.
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

Probably had more to with XP being the immediate predecessor to Vista than anything, despite the fact that a lot of legacy office software didn't work quite right in XP either...
But hey, that's not Microsoft's problem, right? They're just trying to sell a product, they don't care if it hampers your job or productivity when it doesn't work right or isn't fully backwards compatible.
:D

Well.... heck, the green borg would probably be more customer friendly than Microsoft

SATURDAY, APRIL 11, 2015 http://www.oregonlive.com/comics-kingdo ... Fast_Track :lol:
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?