Vimy-class Work In Progress

Making a movie? Creating a picture? Composing an opera? Talk about it in here.
Captain Silverado

Re: Vimy-class Work In Progress

Post by b-guy »

OK, I'm comfortably convinced that I'm going in a sufficiently different direction than the Legacy-class.

On that note, I've still been working on this project from time to time. No big leaps forward though. I'm working on the engineering hull, and it's going in a more Excelsior-ish direction than originally planned. I opted to get rid of the curved upper surface in favour of a flat one, and put a sort of 'band' around the upper edge, so the saucer connector attaches a bit more cleanly. Next step will be a sort of superstructure housing the rear shuttlebay and the nacelle pylon base.

One of my goals for this ship design is to try to give it a bit of a Canadian flavour. Since you can't put back-bacon or maple syrup on a starship, and since maple leafs are a bit too conspicuous, I have something else in mind. Have you ever seen the Vimy Ridge memorial? If not, here's a picture.

Basically, where Soverign-class ships have that funky dark triangle pattern on the top and bottom of their saucers, I'm going to use the general shape of the Vimy Memorial. I'll curve the lower base around the rear edge of the saucer, and somehow merge my plan for the saucer impulse engines into it. The gap between the two spires will have to be widened as well, to leave room for the bridge and such. But I'll use the general shape.
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Progress Update: August 9 2010

Working on:

Website Upgrades
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Did some fooling around with the saucer pattern. I've done the first steps on two versions. 1 is more curvy, the other has more angles. Both are incomplete, as I still need to add a pair of impulse engines to the back, along with some details on the rear edge.

I'm leaning towards #2. In my mind, the rest of the ship is pretty curvy, so the sharp angles stand out a bit more. They also seem closer to the memorial design I'm trying to mimic.

But I'd like your opinions...#1 or #2?

Version 1

Version 2

Thoughts?
Working on:

Website Upgrades
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

The second one looks kinda familiar to me. Looks like the Ko-Metru power disk from Bionicle a few years back.
Personally, I like the curvy version better because the straight angles are a bit jarring to the senses. IMO, the harder angles destroy the flow of the natural curvature of the ship. The curvier version flows better.
My suggestion would be to reduce the angle of the tapered end so that it still follows the ship's curvature, but looks more like the memorial. That's just my take, feel free to ignore me.
Last edited by borgcrazy on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

As I said on your Facebook thread, I like the second one.
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

1 Oct 2010

OK, I actually made these changes over a week ago, and planning on finishing the impulse engines, but Real Like has stalled me at the moment. (First-Year obstacle course was today...Savage Flight kicked butt!)

Anyway, I scrapped the rear rim on the saucer, just decided I didn't like it. The impulse engines are incomplete; I plan on having another pair of glowy-red outlets right below the current two. Rectangular though, not funky. And I'm thinkin of putting two on the saucer pylon for when the ship is separated, Enterprise-D style. Probably a shuttlebay between the impulse engines on the upper surface of the saucer. I'm thinking of putting a thicker rim on the very rear for a pair of smaller shuttlebays, more like launch tubes for fighters. But that might look a bit funny.

Working on:

Website Upgrades