Vimy-class Work In Progress

Making a movie? Creating a picture? Composing an opera? Talk about it in here.
Captain Silverado

Vimy-class Work In Progress

Post by b-guy »

Details

Class Name: Vimy
Length: ???
Decks: 36
Top Speed, Weapons & Shields: Soveriegn-ish
Super-inpenatrable hull armour: No
Invincible shields: No
Super-duper-death-ray mega-cannon: No
Trans-warp engines of kickass-ness: No
Quantum Slipstream: Maybe. But if it's there, it's not going to work very well.

Notes

So, my roommate and a friend of ours were in our room chattering about something boring when I started doodling around on my computer. One thing led to another, and here I am working on the new Vimy-class design. Just as well, I wasn't sure what I was going to do now that the Matria Installation modeling is done.

This thread is going to be a Work In Progress thread, so every now and then I'll update it with...well...my progress. Please feel free to put down any ideas or suggetions you have, as I expect the design to change a fair bit as it evolves.

The idea I had was that the Dominion War is over, President Dillon is keepings things in relatively good shape and life is good. So why not develop a class of ship that has the advantages of a modern Soverign-class ship, but is big enough to bring families and such back into space. I've looked at some of the storyline threads for Star Trek Online and the newer TNG novels, and I'll admit that I don't like the direction they're going. The writers seem convinced that the world has to be on the verge of ending in order for a story to work. So I'm very set in playing with the universe that Alan & Anothony have left us with as TVG and Waystation wrap up.

I described this class to Alan last night as being 'what would happen if a Soveriegn, Excelsior and Ambassador had a kinky threesome that somehow resulted in children'. I want Ambassador-ish size, sleek Soveriegn-ish looks but my idea for the hull geometry looked a lot like an updated Excelsior. I've sort of set the Soveriegn-class as my 'upper limit'. I've said it many times: I hate super-ships. So in terms of capabilities, I don't want to go beyond what we've already seen in (reasonable) Star Trek.

It'll be a while before it's finished. All I really have now is the basic hull geometry, and even that may change.

Bit of trivia for you, the class is named after Vimy Ridge, the site of a Canadian military victory during World War 2.
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Captain Silverado

Re: Vimy-class Work In Progress

Post by b-guy »

May 18th 2010

Basic hull design is there. No details added, no deflector dish, bridge assembly, impulse engines, etc. This is just the base.

Working on:

Website Upgrades
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

June 10th 2010

Haven't done much on this, it is summer after all.

Update 1: Picked some metal textures just for now, as Alan pointed out that the ship colours made him think of a tampon applicator.

Update 2: Began adding nacelle details. I still have more to add...I think I want to do something with the top, something similar to the funny panels on the upper surfaces on an Ambassador nacelle. A few other details as well, but not really sure yet. Suggestions?

Working on:

Website Upgrades
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Hmm...I agree that it needs...something. I'm just not sure what. Going with the red stripes leading to the Starfleet delta like the Ent-D could work I guess.
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

You mentioned "something similar to the funny panels on the upper surfaces on an Ambassador nacelle", which reminded me of something. When I was designing the veqlargh-class, I had a similar problem, so I dug out my old Star Trek mags and looked at other ships to see what they did to fill space, then used that as a spring-board for my own ideas.
Basically, I just filled the empty spaces with interesting-looking, but essentially useless, bits and pieces that could be explained later with technobabble as story needs arose. You could probably do the same here, just add some random hull plating, nozzles and other bits of techno-fillery to make it interesting to look at, but functional-looking enough to be potential plot devices later. I remember tentatively labeling the parts of the veqlargh as I added them, like "magnetic bottle", "EPS conduit", "emergency shunt", "coolant line". Never anything really specific, in case I needed to change what it was later, but at the same time, I needed a mental reason to put "that piece" on the nacelle, or "that other piece" under the deflector dish.
Traks Fan

Post by Captain B »

Hey Brendan,

I like this Vimy-class. It reminds me of what I had in mind for the Aurora-class Explorer-A. A sleeker, more stretched out Galaxy-class. I think I say that the Aurora is pretty big, but not as obnoxiously big as the Outlandish. Er. Outlander.

Anyway - I definitely like where you are going with this. As for the nacelles, how about just a raised edge along the middle of the top part. It only needs a touch more so I wouldn't add too much more to it.

Hope all are well. This is the first time I posted to the forum in way too long. Hopefully a little vacation time will help with that :)

Anthony
Currently writing: Somethin'

Favorite Traks Quote: "Free unnecessary enemas for everybody!"
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

17 June 2010

Wasn't sure what Anthony meant by 'raised edge', so I tried something out. I also put in a 'plasma vent' thingy right behind the Bussard collectors...since trekkie ships always seem to have something there. There's also a little throwback to the movie-Enterprise and the Excelsior, if you can spot it.

I think that pretty much concludes work on modeling the nacelles. I just have to play with some textures, and add a red stripe and other markings somewhere, as Alan has said.
Working on:

Website Upgrades
Traks Fan

Post by JHauck »

Interesting. This one reminds me of the Legacy-Class by Galen of Scifi-Meshes.com / GK Designs.

http://fc99.deviantart.com/fs45/f/2009/ ... alen82.jpg
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Hmm. My first thought looking at the Legacy class is 'Huh. somebody took a Sovereign and curved the nacelle pylons'. Sorta voyager-ish too, at the back. I wonder if they have a perspective shot on the site somewhere?

Anyway, the trouble with trying to design something Star Trek-sih is that no matter what you do, your design is going to look like somethings that's already been done.

Welcome to the Forum, BTW!
Working on:

Website Upgrades