Wiki

Making a movie? Creating a picture? Composing an opera? Talk about it in here.

Wiki

Post by Ruler J »

Just a thread to update people on what I've been playing with on the wiki.
I've been focusing on templates for characters and series boxes. They're modeled on what you might find on Wikipedia itself, or Memory Alpha or Wookiepedia. You can see both on http://www.star-traks.com/wiki/index.php?title=Jaroch

The idea behind the character box is to give a quick overview of character details, appearances in stories and career. Where as with the episode sidebox template all you have to do is enter field information, with the character sidebox it's easiest to insert the full code for a table, allowing you to add or remove fields as necessary. For example, there's more info on Jaroch's career (science officer USS Forrester, science officer USS Secondprize, captain USS Secondprize, Admiral) than for Alexander Rydell (first officer USS Arcadia, captain USS Secondprize). The idea is to have quick hit info, detail of course goes in the article itself. Using a table also allows for colour changes- I was thinking of having a different colour scheme for Starfleet (blues), Klingons (reds?), Romulans (greens?), Matrians (colour?), etc.

The series boxes goes at the bottom of an article. The idea is to have quick navigation between the most important bits of the series (seasons, main characters, ships, villains, etc), replacing a previous box that simply listed crew members. Again a different colour scheme for each series could be useful, though given the number of series based on Starfleet ships we might run out of different blues.

As well as providing quick hit info, the boxes come in useful in providing structure: you can see what's been done, what's been started and what hasn't by navigating through them and will hopefully help flagging up main articles to be written before random little tidbits.

At the moment I'm working through the Original Series, simply because it's finished and the character pages are all pretty detailed as it is. Suggestions/comments are welcome, but hey- it's a wiki. Have a good idea just change it yourself!
Previously writing: Incongruous Voyages Season 2 (since 2007)
Currently writing: Incongruous Voyages Season 2
Futurely writing: to the dictionary, to include the word "futurely"
Head Traks Guy

Re: Wiki

Post by cmdrajd »

Thanks for doing all of this, Ruler J. I think the character boxes look great.
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"