Real Life .... Now Why Does It Intervene?

Got something non-Star Traks related to say? Put it in here.
'Orribly Original
Location: Officially somewhere dark and unheard of, south UK.

Real Life .... Now Why Does It Intervene?

Post by Mad Lensman »

Just a quick note guys to apologise for my rather spotty appearances here for the last four months or so....

real life reared it's ugly hide once more and kicked my ar$e so hard it's still stinging from a hasty touchdown miles from where I started! - needless to say, I've chocked the life outta it now and stuffed real life back into the clost where it belongs and will be back on the reading/writing/goofing off horse shortly....!

<Translation: My boss got a little out of shape, got ideas WELL above her station which ended up in a college wide IT walk out whilst half of us signed ourselves off with depression, stress and anxiety attacks - I was lucky, I got the depression which led to some totally mind numbing anti-depressant drugs - more about those in an upcoming Origins....! The upshot of all this? Well, I'm not unemployed, unlike the rest of the department, however I did walk out and take four engineers with me, so now I find myself running an ad-hoc IT support business with no safety net... Help!!!! :) )

Thanks for missing me (I hope you all did.....) <Ominous silence> and just to let you know normal madness will be resumed without further problems from this point in! :lol:
Dr. Allison Reed: It's over, it's over. You did great! Do you need anything? Can we get you anything?
Harry Block: Ice cream... I'd like an ice cream please.
Dr. Allison Reed: Okay, what flavor?
Harry Block: It doesn't matter. It's for my ass.
El yerno no favorito

Re: Real Life .... Now Why Does It Intervene?

Post by Star Traks »

Mad Lensman wrote:...The upshot of all this? Well, I'm not unemployed, unlike the rest of the department, however I did walk out and take four engineers with me, so now I find myself running an ad-hoc IT support business with no safety net... Help!!!! :) )

Thanks for missing me (I hope you all did.....) <Ominous silence> and just to let you know normal madness will be resumed without further problems from this point in! :lol:
Life is dynamic, everytime a door closes another door will open.
Mirroring an old Royal Navy saying of 'Shake a Leg' will help you sucessfully run your business.
Everything I learned on maximizing a minimum profit is out of fashion these days. Current bidding process leans toward predatory low bid with 500 to >1000% mark-up on change orders.

Best of Luck and avoid those pesky Welsh luggage handlers !
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
'Orribly Original

Post by Mad Lensman »

I shook both legs this morning in a vain attempt to understand that old chestnut from the RN... Wads of cash did not fall at my feet, nor did I suddenly become inundated with new IT contracts, I did find that my left leg is slightly less happy to be shook than my right one, an dthat shaking both legs at once annoys the hell out of my Wife when she's trying to sleep next to me.... (I have bruises to prove this).

So I'll settle for hard graft over shaking the legs any day, one, it doesn't seem so unlikely to bring success and two, it's probably a hell of a lot less painful.

:D
Dr. Allison Reed: It's over, it's over. You did great! Do you need anything? Can we get you anything?
Traks Fan

Post by Captain B »

From a fellow forum poster mired in real life interruptions, welcome back! April being the college "month of hell" (at least here), I'm looking forward to taking some time off in a couple weeks and reclaiming my life, such as it is :) Hope all are well, most particularly you, Lensman!
Currently writing: Somethin'

Favorite Traks Quote: "Free unnecessary enemas for everybody!"
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

I think my College Hell April is drawing to a close. I have one more exam left on Thursday. Next week I have a drunken stagger, um, I mean Elect & Comp Eng field trip to Montreal. To tour various companies. And not get drunk and/or laid with/by the friendly French locals in the evening. Two weeks of prep for summer training...except I'm not doing summer training. Graduation Parade practice, except I'm pretty sure I'm not on Grad Parade. So two weeks of 'General Duties', followed by a summer of Mon-Fri, 9-5 'On the Job Training' here at sunny Kingston while I enjoy my new apartment.

How's that for timiing? I'm almost 3/4 done writing Season 5 as it is.
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
'Orribly Original

Post by Mad Lensman »

Thanks guys - I knew that somewhere, someone in a dark, dank corner of the multiverse would be happy to see me....

(Of course I was kinda hoping it would be the really hot secretary we've just hired for the new company, but it turned out to be CaptainB....) :lol:

I'm just rearranging all the Origins stuff and have finally found out why the damn website won't update - so that'll be fixed soone. (See the ori update). Nice to be back and now I see I have some reading to catch up on..... ! :D
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Mad Lensman wrote: (Of course I was kinda hoping it would be the really hot secretary we've just hired for the new company, but it turned out to be CaptainB....) :lol:
Oh, I'm sure he can dress up like a really hot secretary to accommodate ya. :cry:
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

Okay, decided to put on my Real Life happens here...

Just to let you all know, I have accepted a new job as of last week. Well, I'll still be a fish squeezer (Fish Biologist), and I'll still be working for the Forest Service...so...technically it is a transfer of station. No matter, mid-July I will be moving to the Klamath National Forest whereupon I will find fishing and rafting and steep-ass mountains and all sorts of lovely things! And NO RABBITBRUSH! [allergies.... :evil:]

And, on top of that, I am shortly to embark upto the process of buying my first house. Fun!

So, to put it another way, it looks like my summer BorgSpace delays will become even more so as I somehow get the many projects at current job tied up, move, start a new job, and so forth and so on. On the upside, the day after I arrive at my new location, I am already scheduled to join a snorkle/dive to count steelhead. On a raft. To meet local agencies people, of course. All for the purpose of work. 8-)
Currently working on -
Star Traks: BorgSpace - Book 3, Part 1 - "Invocation of the Birds - Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Pheonix"

--Time is merely an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space
(Anonymous)
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

I'm sure it's not all fun and sunshine like you make it sound, but dammit, your "work" sounds a whole lot like "vacation" to me. Then again, being a retail drone, ANY work that doesn't take place in a dusty, ancient building filled with snotty, crying kids and snippy parents sounds like vacation. Well, it's not all that bad (usually) but the building is ancient. And dusty.
At any rate, take your time, we understand the importance of priorities (that is kinda the point of this thread). We'll be here when you get back.
'Orribly Original

Post by Mad Lensman »

Oh lord.... The phrase "Retail Drone"..... Now I just have a bad premise for a really badly written but probably fun non-episode about a Borg run retail store... Someone put me out of my misery!!! :D