I need a smart person!

Got something non-Star Traks related to say? Put it in here.
Makin' Traks

I need a smart person!

Post by borgcrazy »

Since I know I can find several here, maybe one of you smart people can help me.
I just got a Nextar MA933A 4gb mp3 player (I've actually had several, the new one is an upgrade from my too-small 2gb...) but this one keeps giving me "Format Error" messages and skip to the next song or in the middle of one song it will randomly start playing another song.
The last time this happened, I reformatted the player and reloaded all the songs back onto it, but the entire process took like 3 hours. I know it's not the mp3 files being "unsupported" by Nextar, since this one didn't have any problems playing the songs before (well, except for when I had to reformat it), and my other Nextar players all played the songs just fine.
Could there be some kind of hardware issue? Or, as one Google result suggested, am I putting too much data onto the player? I'm running a check-disc on it now so I can't say how much space is left, but I think it's somewhere around 13 or 14 percent.
I'd just like to find a way to fix this problem without either sending the player back for repair or spending 3 hours reformatting and reloading the crazy thing every few weeks. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome and tried, though if they're really technical, you'll need to give me very detailed instructions on what you're talking about :D . Thanks!
Head Traks Guy

Re: I need a smart person!

Post by cmdrajd »

Sorry, BC. I don't know what to tell you. It sounds like a software problem to me, but I don't have any experience with that brand of player.
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
El yerno no favorito

Re: I need a smart person!

Post by Star Traks »

Generally speaking, I second Cmdr's note that your condition appears to be software related - possibility of a hardware issue [manufacturers may not maintain quality/reliability] - btw I have no experience with said devices

I may not vouch for hearsay reports of some audio files carrying imbedded commands [wittingly or unwittingly] that either corrupt / make the device software unstable - check if the same audio files make the previous device unstable - perhaps one file is driving the new device software nuts / on the flip side there may be a synergy effect - combination of certain files may be the culprit in unstable software

Best of luck !!!
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?