Randomness x14

Got something non-Star Traks related to say? Put it in here.
Makin' Traks

Randomness x14

Post by borgcrazy »

Starting a thread to share the weird, random stuff we find that doesn't quite neatly fit into other categories.
Starting it off, I present this fun collection of optical illusions. Y'all seem like the kinds of people who get a kick out of this stuff (I know I do!). Particularly, I like this vid; reminds me of the greatly entertaining Pixar shorts.
El yerno no favorito

Re: Randomness x14

Post by Star Traks »

BC, the video was very good, sound track and details were great !
Composite of Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, with escapism fantasy; escapism through alcohol and/or the staircase leadng to other illusions.
The video mirrored aspects from working out of a cube in a 'bull pen' office layout; cube life may seem similar to the Hotel California song, You may check in any time you want, but you may never leave :)
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Not sure where else to put this (didn't we have a webcomic thread at some point?) but for those Lego enthusiasts who don't already know, there's a zombie-apocalypse-themed Lego comic on the Internetz, "Bricks of the Dead".
I got the heads up through Legostar Galactica (which I was turned on to through this forum thanks to our very own Meneks, interestingly) so others here who read LSG probably already know, but for those who don't, enjoy.
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Must have been the last board where we had a thread that shared funny spam emails, so I'll drop this gem I just got here:
"UNITED NATIONS: (We the people... A stronger UN for a better word)
Attention:

You may not understand why this email came to you. We have been having a meeting for the passed 7 months which ended 2 days ago with the then secretary to the UNITED NATIONS.

This email is to all the people that have been scammed in any part of the world, the UNITED NATIONS have agreed to compensate them with the sum of USD$850,000 (Eight hundred and fifty thousand United State Dollars Only), This also includes every foreign contractors that may have not received their contract sum, and people that have had an unfinished transaction or international businesses that failed due to Government problems etc.

We found your name in our list and that is why we are contacting you, this has been agreed upon and have been signed. You are advised to contact Mr. Donald Uzo as he is our representative in Nigeria, contact him immediately for your payment of USD$850,000 (Eight hundred and fifty thousand United State Dollars Only) which way you need the fund to be delivered. So he will send it to you and you can clear it in any bank of your choice.

You are advice to get in contact with Mr. Donald Uzo and provide him with below information.

Full Name:
Address:
Telephone Number:
Country"

It ends with some fake emails and websites. I couldn't help lol'ing on the creativity and out-of-the-box thinking on this one; scammers posing as the authorities trying to recompense victims of scammers. If the return email address wasn't "postmaser(at)sthpharma.com" I'd almost believe it was real. Oh, and the fact that I've never contacted any of these Nigerian scam artists so there's no way I'm in any UN list of victims.
Still, it's a clever twist to an age-old scam.
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Remember the opening of the Voyager episode "Extreme Risk" where B'Elanna does some orbital skydiving?
Well, some crazy fool is trying it for real. Here's to hoping he survives...
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Well, good luck to him. Sometimes, though, I read stories like this and find myself divided between feeling glad that people are out there pushing the boundaries and wondering if maybe some people just have way too much time on their hands.
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

Or waaaaay too much Red Bull and other super-caffinated, keep-me-awake-for-next-five-days type of drink. Mixed with alcohol, of course. Because all the best ideas come about from alcohol.

And since I don't drink, that is probably why I never came up the concept of jumping from near-orbit. Who needs silly things like re-entry vehicles? Next thing will be ditching the parachute...of which the first step has already been done with a wingsuit dude landing on cardboard boxes.

Maybe I should take up Red Bull and beer? :mrgreen:
Currently working on -
Star Traks: BorgSpace - Book 3, Part 1 - "Invocation of the Birds - Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Pheonix"

--Time is merely an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space
(Anonymous)
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

a recent random series of events affirmed the earlier posting on Re: Randomness x14
by borgcrazy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:22 am...I couldn't help lol'ing on the creativity and out-of-the-box thinking on this one...'

A synopsis, my CPU went south and had to be turned over to a local shop after remedies did not work. Picked up my CPU today / 31 viruses sneaked by Norton 360; the tech went on a lengthy description on how 'devious' people are with both generating computer viruses or breaching online security safeguards. The New Battlestar Galactica 1st episode spun through my head during his talk.
Guess what the PBS UK channel is showing tonight 'The Last Enemy' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Enemy_(TV_series)

Take Care !
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

borgcrazy wrote:Starting a thread to share the weird, random stuff we find that doesn't quite neatly fit into other categories....
Admittedly, this article covers some weird random stuff that gave four other teams another chance.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics-- ... andal.html

Women athletes generally don't collaborate on such a scale [ four teams winning at any cost via intentional losing for a more favorable seed ] - The Chicago White Sox scandal is a classic example for a payoff.

Take care !