Yahoo bot

Got something non-Star Traks related to say? Put it in here.
Traks Fan

Yahoo bot

Post by Donald »

On looging in, saw this second member as "Yahoo Bot"

Ar'nt bot's evil and bad, or I have I got the wong end of the stick as usual. Incidently, Yahoo's my homepage.

D
Power is Nothing without control. That's why I'm not allowed either!
El yerno no favorito

Re: Yahoo bot

Post by Star Traks »

By no means is this to be considered a definitive source:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=wikipe ... r=chr-yie8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot

'...Internet bots, also known as web robots, WWW robots or simply bots, are software applications that run automated tasks over the Internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering, in which an automated script fetches, analyzes and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. Each server can have a file called robots.txt, containing rules for the spidering of that server that the bot is supposed to obey.

In addition to their uses outlined above, bots may also be implemented where a response speed faster than that of humans is required (e.g., gaming bots and auction-site robots) or less commonly in situations where the emulation of human activity is required, for example chat bots. Recently bots have been used for search advertising, such as Google Adsense.[1]...Malicious purposesAnother, more malicious use of bots is the coordination and operation of an automated attack on networked computers, such as a denial-of-service attack by a botnet. Internet bots can also be used to commit click fraud and more recently have seen usage around MMORPG games as computer game bots. A spambot is an internet bot that attempts to spam large amounts of content on the Internet, usually adding advertising links...There are malicious bots (and botnets) of the following types:
1.Spambots that harvest email addresses from internet forums, contact forms or guestbook pages
2.Downloader programs that suck bandwidth by downloading entire web sites
3.Web site scrapers that grab the content of web sites and re-use it without permission on automatically generated doorway pages
4.Viruses and worms
5.DDoS attacks
6.Botnets / zombie computers; etc.
7.File-name modifiers on peer-to-peer file-sharing networks. These change the names of files (often containing malware) to match user search queries.
8.Automating the entry of internet sweepstakes or instant win games to get an advantage
9.Automating tasks on promotional web sites to win prizes
10.Votebots which automatically cast votes for or againsts certain forms of user-contributed content such as videos on Youtube or reader comments on blog pages.
'

I understand your concern on inherent 'mines' throughout the web.

Learned some hard knocks locating a replacement driver for an obsolete printer - not all replacement drivers are created equal or web sites/sources are truly reliable, hence, really aggravating the problem of limited funds for a replacement printer.
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Traks Fan

Post by Donald »

Thanks, scary and comprehesive reply.
In addition to their uses outlined above, bots may also be implemented where a response speed faster than that of humans is required
Does this mean I can get one to finish the story I've been working on for a year? :)
Power is Nothing without control. That's why I'm not allowed either!
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

Donald wrote:Thanks, scary and comprehesive reply.
In addition to their uses outlined above, bots may also be implemented where a response speed faster than that of humans is required
Does this mean I can get one to finish the story I've been working on for a year? :)
Darn good question Donald, all I know there are highly skilled computer gurus who [probably] could 'enhance/design' a bot to do what ever one's heart desires.

Best of luck with your story writing - may I suggest reading 'Science Fair' by Barry & Pearson before searching for those highly skilled computer gurus :)

Wife and myself are so damn broke we can't pay attention - I need to complete several more repairs
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?