Boldly Gone Posting and Discussion

This is the place to discuss the various Star Traks series and stories.
Head Traks Guy

Boldly Gone Posting and Discussion

Post by cmdrajd »

The day has finally arrived, and the Boldly Gone Series Nine premiere has been posted.

When we left off *cough*fiveyearsago*cough*, Captain Reginald Bain had turned himself over to the Breen in order to stop a war. Now he is due to face Breen justice, while the crew of the USS Anomaly must deal with the loss of their captain and a war that might not be nearly as stopped as Bain had hoped. At long last, Star Traks: Boldly Gone is back with the the Series Nine premiere..."Trial & Error."

As usual, get it through the Nexus at http://www.star-traks.com
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
El yerno no favorito

Re: Boldly Gone Posting and Discussion

Post by Star Traks »

[For the writers] Well Done !

'Buggers, the holographic James T. Kirk is both running amok and being a poor sport !' :?
Go Bain - beat holographic Kirk :!:

In my humble opinion, the holographic James T. Kirk character is deserving of a nomination to Evil Character Hall of Fame. The holographic James T. Kirk is up there with Doctor Who Stone Angels/Daleks, Predators I & II, Hal from Space Odessy, Flarn [pre-Borg age], Dominion Forces, evil Terminators in 1, 2, & 3, Voyager Harvesters/aggressor race revived after 500 years in Dragons' Teeth, Qu'Eh, etc.

Note: 7/26/10 edits are in italic type [the above is not an all inclusive list]
Last edited by Star Traks on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

I'm still re-reading the last season before I tackle this one...
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Comments on "Trial & Error"

I honestly don't have too much to say about the story itself. I'll say more after the next one and leave this one to Anthony.

I would, however, like to address the...um...hiatus. Now there's a tactful way to put it. Here's a less tactful way: Why the hell did it take almost five years to get another run?

Would it help if I said that it wasn't intentional? After Series Eight ended in 2005, we fully intended to start the next run in 2006. The Boldly site said so for a long time (until 2008, I think). But then we both decided to focus our efforts on completing our respective series (Vexed Generation for Anthony and Waystation for me) before we turned our attention back to Boldly. That took slightly longer than we thought.

Knowing that, we did actually start back into Boldly. I believe we actually wrote "Trial & Error" and the next story in 2007, prompting me to change the expected series premiere date on the Boldly site to 2008.

Obviously that didn't happen. I won't spend a lot of time getting into the details, but for me the reasons involved real life, increasing job responsibilities, and multiple family health issues, none of which were exceptionally conducive to writing comedy. We were still working on the stories, but the output slowed to a crawl. Knowing that, we didn't want to start posting until we had the entire run in the can, which didn't happen until earlier this year.

And then there was the issue of Story #3, but we'll get to that in a few weeks.
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Series Nine rolls on with "The Bain Supremacy"!

Having escaped the Breen, Captain Reginald Bain lands right in the clutches of the James T. Kirk hologram. Meanwhile, Commander Vioxx has the minor problem of all-out war with the Breen to handle. Some guys have all the luck.

Check it out on the Boldly Gone page available through your supremely supreme Star Traks Nexus and Corner Grocery Store of supremeliness at...

http://www.star-traks.com
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

cmdrajd wrote:Series Nine rolls on with "The Bain Supremacy"!...http://www.star-traks.com
Bain did a Jolly Good Show handling the holographic James T. Kirk- especially, both the 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8
and very flashy exhibit at Enterprise wing of Starfleet musuem. :!:

Kudos to the joint effort writers :!:

So many gems makes picking an ultimate winner difficult/almost impossible on threads within this story.
The list includes, but is not limited to, the following: Pakled tribulations, Bain's line on getting his hands dirty, Tovar's mom revealed investigating his significant others, Prozak reactions to Tovar's mom disclosure, Vioxx, Remax [discussions w/ Selex, Romulan crew, Anamoly computer duo, and line '...victory is sweet...', handling Selex situation-tying up Selex's thread], negotiation / extortion with Breen, Breen unmasking, etc.

GTG, an awful lot is on deck this week

Take Care !!!!
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Comments on "The Bain Supremacy"

Potential SPOILERS to follow (Obviously):

I doubt that anyone will be too surprised to find this out (I may actually have mentioned it previously), but even though every Boldly Gone story has both of our names on it, Anthony and I often write them separately. We'll talk about each run, look at our schedules and who has ideas, and then divide up the stories between us. Some insanely obsessive person with way too much time on their hands could probably go through the previous 8 runs of Boldly and figure out, based on our other work, who wrote what. That said, we much prefer those rare opportunities when we can work on a story together. In the case of Series Nine, we got that chance on the first two.

That wasn't the original plan, though. Anthony initially took on 9-1 himself, but, after getting a good three-quarters of the way through it, he decided he wasn't really satisfied with the direction the story was taking (he can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong here). We had scheduled a night to hang out together, so one Saturday evening I was driving along the winding Baltimore County backroads leading from my end of the world to his trying to figure out if I had any ideas to offer on the story. I love inspiration (what writer doesn't?). Sometimes generating ideas can be torture, but other times they just appear. This was one of those times. The entire sequence of events from Tovar, Prosak and Marsden rescuing Bain from the Breen to Bain defeating the Kirk hologram leapt into my head almost completely formed. If I remember correctly, I called Anthony as I was driving and started babbling to him about it. By the end of that visit, we had most or maybe even all of 9-1 done, and we split up 9-2 into sections for each of us to write.

I don't often say things like this about the stories, but I am very happy with "The Bain Supremacy." While the images I initially had in my head of Bain just ripping his way through the Allegra in pursuit of an increasingly-panicky Kirk hologram didn't quite fit in the finished story, the overall concept works well, I think, and several of the gags made me chuckle all over again as I was editing the story for posting.

I've probably mentioned this at some point as well, but I love writing for Bain. There was a danger with him that we might make him too perfect, which I believe that we've generally avoided. He's got his flaws and he can be downright oblivious about certain things, but he is a hell of a lot of fun.

All right. That's it from me on this one. The mess we left in Series Eight's cliffhanger has been cleaned up. Next time we move on to somebody else's mess. You'll see what I mean on 8/22 when we post, "We'll Always Have Romulus."
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

The Last 2 Stories
Love how you blokes handled... wait, did I just type the word "blokes"? By the Great Bird... Bain is getting to me now!
Ahem, right then, love how you chaps ... (ehh, I'm just gonna go with it, "resistance is futile" and all that rot) rolled everything up like a big doobie and smoked the crap out of...
Yea, that doesn't make sense at all. It's not even consistent! I'm jumping from some stereotypical Brit to a pot head to who knows where that was going.
Sorry, it's been a long, loooong week for me.
What was I saying? Yes, the last two stories were great. There weren't a lot of raucous, "laugh til my gut hurts" moments, but there was plenty of funny to be had. I really like the big reveal of the destroyed Breen outpost; that whole thing had some very "Frasier"-like levels of ironic comedy to it. There were so many things that, on their own, just worked, but all layered together like some kind of comedic parfait (or other things with layers, like cake, or onions...) it's golden. And yes, Bain's escape and "solution" to the Kirk hologram were classic Traks, and double-classic Bain moments.
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Another two weeks have warped by (Yes, I had to say that. I'm sorry), which means that it's time for the next story in Star Traks: Boldly Gone Series Nine!

Sometimes things happen that are beyond your control. A freak storm ruins your picnic. A flying rock cracks your windshield. A major motion picture destroys your planet. That last one is something of a problem for Commander Prosak and the other Romulans on board the USS Anomaly. Now it's up to Captain Bain and his crew to make sure that "We'll Always Have Romulus."

Come watch us deal with the ravages of a Hollywood blockbuster in the latest story, which is waiting for you on the Star Traks: Boldly Gone page available through your completely independent and thoroughly avant-garde Star Traks Nexus and Corner Grocery Store at...

http://www.star-traks.com

And, as a special bonus this week, we have the promo for this season as read by Captain Bain himself. Yes, it's a little late, considering that we're three stories into the run, but time travel is a finicky science. You try and get a delivery from the 26th Century and see how well you do! Give it a listen!

http://www.star-traks.com/boldly/bainfinal.mp3

(And a big thank you to our very own Mad Lensman for ensuring that the file was obtained from Captain Bain and given to us.)
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

cmdrajd wrote: http://www.star-traks.com/boldly/bainfinal.mp3

(And a big thank you to our very own Mad Lensman for ensuring that the file was obtained from Captain Bain and given to us.)
That was frikken hilarious! Thanks for "acquiring" that for us, Mad!