Boldly Gone Posting and Discussion

This is the place to discuss the various Star Traks series and stories.
Makin' Traks

Re: Boldly Gone Posting and Discussion

Post by borgcrazy »

cmdrajd wrote:Anthony's trademarked that as his catch-phrase.
Yea, because trademarks and copyrights mean sooo much to us...
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

As we head toward Fall (or Spring if you're in the Southern Hemisphere), it's time to wind down from...crap. You know, that whole Spring in the Southern Hemisphere thing just messed up the whole intro. Oh, never mind. There's a new story. Here's the promo...

Life is quiet aboard the USS Anomaly as Rosalyn Bain settles in and adjusts to retirement. But, since this is a story, something has to happen. Um...how about a big boom? Yeah. That will work. In the aftermath, we'll need to make sure that everything is "Right Where We Left It."

Sit back and relax...until the big boom that is...with the latest story on the Star Traks: Boldly Gone site available through your incredibly soothing Star Traks Nexus and Corner Grocery Store at...

http://www.star-traks.com

And for those of you interested in such things, I've done a bit of reorganizing on the Original Traks site, which will hopefully make the proper flow of stories a little more clear.
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Comments on "Right Where We Left It"

It's tough to say much about the first part of a storyline, so I really don't have much to bore everyone with here. Most of the story was focused on re-establishing the status quo...or setting the new status quo really. Kasyov and Rosalyn both have had their circumstances change, but they aren't the only ones adjusting, as evidenced by Bain's discomfort with having to think about Tovar's relationship with Marsden. It's a lot of character material that needed to be dealt with after the near-constant running around of the first three stories.

I think the juoni ball scene is the first time I've ever tried to invent a sport. It's been mentioned in passing at least once before, but I decided that I wanted to show it, which meant that I had to come up with the rules. I attempted to come up with something that seemed distinctly Romulan while still seeming like a playable sport. JK Rowling still owns the invented sport territory with Quidditch, I suppose, but juoni ball sound far less painful.

And then there's the big boom.

When Anthony and I did the initial planning and wrote the first couple of stories for Boldly Gone, we left several plot hooks that we knew we would eventually get to over the course of the series. Some, such as Tovar's interloping lifeforce, were hit fairly early. Some we may not get to at all. Dealing with his parents, though, was always in the cards. But we'll get more of that in a couple of weeks.
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

After two nail-biting weeks (and you really shouldn't do that. It's a nasty habit. They have treatments for it now, you know), we're back with the fifth story of the ninth run of the upteenth Star Traks spin-off. Here's a look...

The USS Anomaly has accidentally solved a twenty-year-old mystery: they found the missing Multek Enclave. However, the Multeks aren't exactly pleased to have been found, and have no intentions of letting the Anomaly crew leave. Sure, it's a lovely place, but the prospect of being trapped with the Multeks forever has Captain Bain singing a few bars of "Welcome To The Hotel California."

Check in but don't check out on the Star Traks: Boldly Gone page available through your every hospitable Star Traks Nexus and Corner Grocery Store, which is now accepting reservations at...

http://www.star-traks.com
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

These two have been fun.

I'll admit, the first thing that went to my head when the Anomaly found itself stuck in a pocket universe with a half-dozen planets was 'OMG, I hope it's the Multeks!' And it was! Horray!

Aside from answering that pesky little mystery of what happened to them, I like what's happening between Tovar and his parents. Instead of a perfect reunion, he's finding out that his parents don't seem to have had any problem with leaving him behind, or may have even done it on purpose. While this is sad, and you sort of find yourself rooting for brainwashing as a solution, it's also somewhat unexpected and really added to the story.

Throwing in the Dillon Consortium led for a few laughs with the Romulans on the planet...and a bit WTF? moment with the Multeks apparently going into a hostile takeover.

Eager to see how this all plays out! Hopefully there won't be a bit long cliff-hanger until the next season starts. (Don't you hate authors that do that?)
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Comments on "Welcome To The Hotel California"

Commenting on part two of a longer storyline is difficult, so I'll just focus in on a few elements from this one.

Getting the Romulans off on their own is fun, since the handle things a bit differently. I can't see Starfleet Officers repeatedly stunning someone just for the heck of it and certainly not advocating killing Burke...even if she is annoying.

Reginald Bain is usually the direct sort, but he's shown in the past that he can use misdirection and confusion when the need arises. Give him some time, and he'll figure out a way to take you down. Don't give him time, and he may just come at you head-on. Pick your poison.

The real heart of this story for me, though, are the flashbacks to how Bain and Tovar first met. This was one of those things that we'd mentioned in passing starting with the very first run of stories, but showing it was another matter. My hope was to develop the connection between them quickly, since I didn't want it taking up the whole story, while showing enough to make it understandable why Bain decided to adopt Tovar. Their father-son relationship has been a major part of the series since the beginning, so it was nice to go back to where it started.

As for Tovar's reunion with his own parents...well...maybe having them disappear for 20 years wasn't such a tragedy after all. I do have to admit that this is based loosely on reality. I do know a couple who always have given me the impression that they only had a child to get their parents of their back. The kid seems to practically live the grandparents while mom and dad continue to go out and do things that most of us with young ones at home cannot. I took it to an extreme for Tanta and Jimsok (yet another awful name), but I got the idea from the real world.

If at the end of the story, you were saying, "Wait. WHAT?" that was intentional. There's more to come on 10/3.
El yerno no favorito

Post by Star Traks »

cmdrajd wrote:Comments on "Welcome To The Hotel California"...I do know a couple who always have given me the impression that they only had a child to get their parents of their back. The kid seems to practically live the grandparents while mom and dad continue to go out and do things that most of us with young ones at home cannot...
Regretably, quite a few couples have children for the wrong reasons.

It will be interesting to see how the writers handle Tovar / Mardsen relationship in future stories

People rarely acknowledge full impact of such dysfuntional relationships when the grandparents pass away. Inheritance issues aggravate relationship problems further. Depending on the will, such grandparents may pass their assets directly to grandchildren [bypassing the parents - a Rx for parents getting hot under collar. Bypassed parents typically counter with a will writing off their own children]. Both money and politics make for some strange relationships.

Back to other duties as assigned!
Distant Origin 3.23 Saurian Professor Gegen: It wasn't an invasion. We were on a field expedition to learn more about your species. We meant no harm. I'm a molecular paleontologist.
Chakotay: [referring to injury] Do you always harpoon the local wildlife?

Post by Ruler J »

I've always wondered if you guys were going to tackle what happened to the Mutleks or just let it stand as a mystery, looks like now we know (or will know soon!).
It's great to be reading Boldly Gone again, been such a long time! Reginald Bain is quite probably my favourite character from all of Traks, so it's been great seeing him be himself, first with the Breen storyline and now with the Mutleks. And it's also great seeing him having to deal with Tovar's unusual situation: as much as I enjoy Bain going round blowing stuff up, it's even funnier seeing him have to deal something way out of his league: uncomfortable social situations. You're also doing a pretty good job of giving all the characters something to do: with the Romulans now on the crew I'd have thought that'd be impossible and some people would become surplus to requirements.
Just one request please: as much as we love cliffhangers, can you not finish season nine on one? Not sure if I could survive another 3/4 years waiting again!
Previously writing: Incongruous Voyages Season 2 (since 2007)
Currently writing: Incongruous Voyages Season 2
Futurely writing: to the dictionary, to include the word "futurely"
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

Thanks for the comments, everybody. I don't want to give away anything about the finale this weekend, but I will tell you that two different endings were written and that we're going with one of them. That narrows it down a bit, don't you think?
'Orribly Original
Location: Officially somewhere dark and unheard of, south UK.

Post by Mad Lensman »

Arrrggghhhh!!!!! - I'm so far behind on this I'll catch myself up in a minute....! 8-)

(Translated - I'll post some comments when real life lets go of me....!)
Dr. Allison Reed: It's over, it's over. You did great! Do you need anything? Can we get you anything?
Harry Block: Ice cream... I'd like an ice cream please.
Dr. Allison Reed: Okay, what flavor?
Harry Block: It doesn't matter. It's for my ass.