Wait, I've heard this story before...

Got something non-Star Traks related to say? Put it in here.
Makin' Traks

Re: Wait, I've heard this story before...

Post by borgcrazy »

Gee, thanks Alan, I was thinking about going to bed in a few minutes...but not no more.
And honestly, I've found I suffer from "Alien" syndrome - often I find the idea of how something could be far creepier than the actual thing. Using the Angels as an example - the images strobing there are fairly standard-looking creepy "Gargoyle" statue fare, but when I think about how they only move when not being observed, that's when my skin crawls. Monsters that jump out at their victims, while good for a quick startle, aren't very scary to me. It's the ones who sneak up on you when you're unawares that get me (maybe that's why I like zombies so much), and it's the fact that the Angels ONLY move when you're not paying attention that gets into the back of my brain to give me the heebie-jeebies.
Of course, having something creeping up on you that looks like those bastards doesn't help. Then again, how much creepier would it be if they weren't hideous monsters? Like, if they looked nicer, would we (meaning their victims) be more likely to dismiss them and turn our backs, thus presenting an easier target? I know if I were in a room alone with the ones in Alan's post, I'd definitely be keeping an eye or two on them as often as I could, ironically just to appease my paranoia that they weren't sneaking up on me. If they were nicer looking, like cherubs or idealized Greek-like statues, I'd be less inclined to watch them and far more willing to turn my back.
Queen of BorgSpace

Post by Meneks »

borgcrazy wrote: But seriously, the Weeping Angels/Schrodinger Silicates could be a coincidence
Yah, I know quite well that it is just a coincidence, but, hey, interesting coincidence. Fine with me. I used garden gnomes, and Doctor Who writer used angel statuary. And we both probably plagerized the idea from some other location, of which I have forgotten.

Anyway, Alan, thanks for putting up the Angel pictures. I know that the props are probably cheap - the show always seems to have been a great mix of the low/high tech props - just styrophome painted to look like weathered stone, but the whole concept of them moving when not looking is (as I said before) creepy. I agree with Borgcrazy that the idea/suggestion of horror is always much better than the sight of the actual blood-dripping, chain-saw wielding, alien madman. That is what made Jaws so good; as well as the first Tremors and the original Alien. Once the monster is revealed, well, it isn't so scary anymore.
Currently working on -
Star Traks: BorgSpace - Book 3, Part 1 - "Invocation of the Birds - Ruffled Vulture, Dusty Pheonix"

--Time is merely an illusion perpetrated by the manufacturers of space
(Anonymous)
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Futurama: Beast with a Billion Backs has a storyline where Fry is dating the perfect woman, only to learn that she already has 4 other live-in boyfriends. I just re-read one of the Waystaion: Renovations stories where Porter was basically in the same situation.

The Futurama episode came out years after. I call shinnanigans!
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
'Orribly Original
Location: Officially somewhere dark and unheard of, south UK.

Post by Mad Lensman »

Man I hate those damn angel things.....

They remind me of an old guy who used to be in the pub down the road, he just sat there, pipe in one hand, half finished beer in the other and then before anyone could see him - or even did see him move, Shapow!!!!! He had a full pint... creepy....!
Dr. Allison Reed: It's over, it's over. You did great! Do you need anything? Can we get you anything?
Harry Block: Ice cream... I'd like an ice cream please.
Dr. Allison Reed: Okay, what flavor?
Harry Block: It doesn't matter. It's for my ass.