Importance of Backups

Got something non-Star Traks related to say? Put it in here.
Captain Silverado

Re: Importance of Backups

Post by b-guy »

Can you not connect them both at the same time? Most older motherboards (E-IDE) can accommodate up to 4 hard disks or optical drives, and the newer SATA ones vary...I've got 6 SATA ports on mine, and it's a little one...
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

I can, actually, but the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard doesn't work that way, and I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to transfer the settings over IDE... Still, I got it done and everything's golden now. Of course, it wasn't until after I did it the hard way did I realize I could have used my roommate's tower to just do a direct network cable transfer... *sigh* Live and learn - at least now I know how to do it the hard way in case I need to do it again later.
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

I never use the File & Settings wizard. Screw the settings. The great thing about a new OS installation is that everything is cleaned up. I just go through my old hard drive, find the documents, music, videos, projects, etc that I want to keep and then copy them over. Or, in the case of my external drive, just copy the whole thing. No need to transfer settings though...
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

b-guy wrote:I never use the File & Settings wizard. Screw the settings.
Yea, but I had just got everything set up just the way I like it when I had to replace the drive, and with everything else I had to restore, I really didn't feel like adding that to the list... I had enough to handle, what with moving the files, reinstalling my apps, drivers, add-ons and plug-ins, not to mention the flood of Windows OS updates.
'Orribly Original
Location: Officially somewhere dark and unheard of, south UK.

Post by Mad Lensman »

Ah BC I'm sorry mate - Was on a real life hiatus - I have drives by the ton here so anyone having IT issues please drop me a line (Email might be best for a week or three more until I get back to my usual posting schedules - EMployment sticks it's foot in the door of leisure again I'm afraid!) .... Accept my humble apologies BC - Assimilate me later! 8-)
Dr. Allison Reed: It's over, it's over. You did great! Do you need anything? Can we get you anything?
Harry Block: Ice cream... I'd like an ice cream please.
Dr. Allison Reed: Okay, what flavor?
Harry Block: It doesn't matter. It's for my ass.
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

It's all good, Mad. I got it worked out and taught myself quite a bit about computers in the process. Besides, I'm pretty happy with what I got; I love the feeling of finding a great deal like that.