Terror on Academy Hill

Got something non-Star Traks related to say? Put it in here.
Captain Silverado

Terror on Academy Hill

Post by b-guy »

Here we go. Remember how I complianed that writing about Starfleet Academy was hard because it seemed silly to put cadets in situations involving death, serious danger and so forth? Or spending pages on teenange angst?

Well, I guess some people don't have the same problem with that that I do.

http://trekweb.com/articles/2010/09/24/ ... lers.shtml
Some mysterious events and even a death occur, leading Kirk to investigate what's going on, and he uncovers a really dark world of illegal activity
it's a mystery about a serial killer. Early on in the book, the killer targets one of the Starfleet cadets
The sad thing is, these quotes describe two different books. Considering that neither RMC, Westpoint, Annapolis or USAFA seem to have issues with serial killers or dark worlds of illegal activity, where are they getting this stuff from? Honestly!

[rant ends]
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Banshee Baron

Re: Terror on Academy Hill

Post by Brads_Forum_Username »

They're likely written by people who've never been to a military academy and are instead drawing off of experience at your typical civilian college (which, to be fair, is how Starfleet Academy is portrayed half the time).

Maybe that's your cue to cause trouble at the RMC and spice things up a bit!
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

Brads_Forum_Username wrote:They're likely written by people who've never been to a military academy and are instead drawing off of experience at your typical civilian college (which, to be fair, is how Starfleet Academy is portrayed half the time).

Maybe that's your cue to cause trouble at the RMC and spice things up a bit!
Only foreigners call it 'the' RMC. ;)

You're probably right that the people writing Academy stuff haven't done their research, but I don't agree that the Academy has bee portrayed as a civilian college. When it's come up in DS9, Voyager, the new movie or even flashbacks everybody is wearing a uniform, they have things like 'Red Squad', they hold the rank of 'cadet', the school is run by commissioned officers, they have battle simulations like the Kobyoshi Maru. Heck, in Star Trek 2009 they even deployed the cadet wing into a rescue operation, which I'd argue takes the whole military thing a step past us. While we haven't seen things like inspections, room standards or a cadet-driven chain of command, if they leave it out of these new Academy books then they're missing the mark, big time.

To take the comparison a step further, it's interesting that the Academy has been portrayed as a four-year program. A number of modern-day military academies (such as RMC Australia) are more like finishing schools, in that students get their academic degrees at a civilian university before doing one or two years of military education. Canada, the US, France and Britain all (I believe) have 4 year degree programs. It's not uncommon for RMC cadets to go on exchange to other academies for a semester and France and the US are the most common destinations for this reason. (RMC Canada differs from the US in that we have also have post-graduate programs, while Westpoint does not. We've also got a lower suicide rate.)
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades
Makin' Traks

Post by borgcrazy »

Normally, I'd agree but this is Abrams' Trek where things are EPIC! and different (they imploded Vulcan! That was EPIC!) and certain things, like the laws of physics, don't apply (because physics aren't EPIC!). Given that, their version of the Academy is going to be slightly ... erm (I refuse to call it "EPIC!") off-center.
As good as the movie was, they played way too fast and loose with too many things for me to take any of the books seriously. Hell, part of me wants to consider the movie itself to be a kind of "What If?" holonovel or a prank by a Q because of the blatant scientific errors and gaping plot holes. Besides, I never, ever trust anyone who pushes their product like Ms. Sargent did in that interview. It felt to me like she was either too eager to sell her stories or too uninformed of what those stories are going to be or something. I don't know how to explain it, but something about her responses put my bullcrap detectors on Yellow Alert. I might take a look at one or two of the new novels though, just to give them a fair chance. Not sure I'm going to actually buy them, but if I can find them at a library or possibly an ebook torrent, I'll give them a read. Who knows, maybe like the movie their based on, they'll surprise me.

BTW, the "EPIC!" usage at the beginning of this post are references to the Abrams character in the Boldly Gone story "We'll Always Have Romulus". I just had to riff on that.
Banshee Baron

Post by Brads_Forum_Username »

b-guy wrote: Only foreigners call it 'the' RMC. ;)
Hey now, just because Buffalo is basically an international suburb of Toronto doesn't mean I'm some kind of Canadian in disguise who should know these things. :D