Star Traks Ebooks

Got something non-Star Traks related to say? Put it in here.
Captain Silverado

Star Traks Ebooks

Post by b-guy »

We've had an inquiry on the Facebook page regarding offline availability of Star Traks stories.

On the old site, some series offered zip archives with the stories in .txt format. We also had a few ebooks kicking around, depending on the series. During the website redesign and rebuild a lot of edits and fixes were applied to the stories, especially to the older ones. That's rendered the zip files and ebooks out-of-date.

The good news is that all of our stories are now kept in Markdown format. What that means is that they're now in a format better understood by a wider variety of tools and applications, such as the tools that generate the new website...with it's fancy formatting, themes, links, tags and etc.

Generating ebooks from our Markdown files is absolutely do-able. I've played around with it a bit, and it is a bit time-consuming. How time-consuming is sort of the question...it depends on whether we want proper covers, table of contents, if we want to change style or formatting.

Bottom line, if you're interested in having any Traks ebooks, tell us which ones you want so we can prioritize. :)
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades

Re: Star Traks Ebooks

Post by Tangent »

I remember reading some of these a long time ago, and wanted to reread them, but I lack the patience to scroll through webpages. I wanted ebooks for everything, and decided to make quick and dirty versions myself by copy-pasting from the website into LibreOffice Writer, exporting to epub, then using Calibre to fix the broken exports LibreOffice creates. Unfortunately, this process doesn't transfer table of contents, and I'm too lazy to fix that right now. It also probably has a lot of data wrong in various ways.. but if you want quick and dirty versions to give to people: https://mega.nz/file/RMtWSJ6T#aNfuU-rPF ... NlRq10H3Go

(Note: That zip file has everything I used in making them, not just the final exports.)

Edit: Oh yea, this doesn't include everything either. It has the original stuff, Vexed Generation, Waystation, Banshee, BorgSpace, several Side Traks.. but not Boldly Gone, Silverado, or ... I forgot ... Sorry I spent several hours copy-pasting and forgot what I was saying.
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

This has somewhat fallen off my radar as I've gotten busy with other things, but one of the big changes we did with the website redesign was moving all the stories from plain text to Markdown format. This makes it easy (in theory) to quickly convert entire seasons into e-books, but there is some work involved.

One of these days...
Working on:

Website Upgrades
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

We have eBooks! A few anyway.

You can now find eBooks for the complete Howlers, Traks Files, and TOSsed on their respective Side Traks pages.

And more will be coming soon!
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

There are now also eBooks for the complete original Star Traks, complete Waystation, and separate eBooks for each year of The Vexed Generation, all available on their respective web pages.
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Captain Silverado

Post by b-guy »

I've added a Crash Course ebook
Working on:

Website Upgrades
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

The Complete Series ebook for Star Traks: Boldly Gone is now available. You have to scroll down a bit on the Boldly Gone page to get to the link, but it is there.
Head Traks Guy

Post by cmdrajd »

We now have a central eBooks page on the Nexus. You can get to it right here - https://www.star-traks.com/ebooks/.