30 Years (Give or Take a Couple of Weeks)

This is the place to discuss the various Star Traks series and stories.
Head Traks Guy

30 Years (Give or Take a Couple of Weeks)

Post by cmdrajd »

This month marks the 30th anniversary of me completing the first Star Traks story, "Joegonots!" At the time, it was called "Star Traks: The Generation After That One," and it was never meant to be anything more than a one-off bit of fun for me and my college friends. I explained how it all happened on my long-defunct blog, so if you're interested in how Star Traks came about, you can read this -https://star-traks.com/blog/?p=5

(Speaking of that blog, I should really get back to it at some point...and put a link to it somewhere.)

I don't know how to adequately reflect on something that has been with me for my entire adult life. Maybe it sounds over-dramatic to say that my life would be very different without Traks, but it's absolutely true. I've made some of the best friends I've ever had because of these stories. Anthony has been a fantastic writing partner, but more than that, he's been there for me and my family through all kinds of highs and lows. I officiated his wedding. That man is basically my brother at this point. Other people found a site of silly Star Trek fan fiction, and reached out to me. You literally wouldn't be looking at this site if Brendan hadn't done that.

So many people have supported these stories over the years, from my friends back in college who read them as fast as I could write them (or at least let me create a character based on them) and agreed to be in the movie (Yes, there was a movie. It was terrible. You will never see it. But if you want to know about it, there's a blog entry for that, too https://star-traks.com/blog/?p=111) to the people around the world who sent congratulations when I announced the birth of my son to those who were active in eager participants back in the days of Survivor Traks voting and the Star Traks RPG we ran through Yahoo! Groups.

It's no secret that my writing pace as slowed to a trickle, and Anthony and I have owed readers Series Ten of Star Traks: Boldly Gone... for around a decade. I can't promise that the pace will increase, but things are in the works. You saw a bit of that this year with the site relaunch, the Star Traks: TOSsed mini-series, new Star Traks: Howlers stories, and a new run of Star Traks: The Vexed Generation.

As for Star Traks: Boldly Gone... Series Ten, it's coming. I promise.

For now, though, I just want to say thank you to everyone who has read Star Traks over the years. I certainly didn't expect to still be writing these (or even thinking about them) thirty years after that first story, but I'm so glad things have gone this way. I'm grateful to my fellow Traks authors for wanting to get involved in this foolishness, and to everyone who found these stories and decided to send me a message. Knowing that my writing has put a smile on someone's face, made them laugh, or gotten them to care about these characters means a huge amount to me. So, again, thank you.

Here's to 30 years!

Alan
"I'm not insane -- my mother had me tested." - Sheldon Cooper, "The Big Bang Theory"
Captain Silverado

Re: 30 Years (Give or Take a Couple of Weeks)

Post by b-guy »

I can't believe how much time has passed! I started reading Traks in...I'm not sure. 2001? 2002? Sometime around then. And it wasn't until like 2004 when I actually had the inclination and the nerve to not only write a story and send it in.

It's been a very rewarding hobby over the past 18 (WT flying F?) years. From writing stories to 3D modeling and into machinima and web design.

Now I just wish I could get the creative fires burning again, finish Howlers and move on to some other stuff.
Working on:

Modeling - Ambassador-class variant
Website Upgrades